The information and resources here are intended to support your efforts to implement low-barrier and housing-focused emergency shelter services in your community.
Low-Barrier & Housing-Focused emergency Shelter Resources
Below you will find resources from a variety of sources as community program examples. Remember, you can also always search on the Homeless Hub and the Homelessness Learning Hub for further shelter related information.
Keep checking back here as we will be regularly updating materials and adding further resources.
Documents on Shelter
- Housing Focused Sheltering (Nov. 2017)
- Housing-Focused Shelter Sample Daily Operating Policies and Procedures
Blogs on Shelter
- Service Restrictions and Barring in Shelters (Mar. 2019)
- Staff Change as the Shelter Changes (Feb. 2019)
- 8 Tips to Add More Harm Reduction Practices to Your Shelter (Nov. 2018)
- So You Think You are a Low Barrier Shelter… Let’s Check (Sept. 2018)
- 1 Needs 6 (Feb. 2018)
- Unique Individuals and Length of Stay (Jan. 2018)
- Housing Focused Shelter (Dec. 2017)
- Car Dealerships and Homeless Facilities (Sept. 2017)
- Signs of a Bad Shelter Proposal (Feb. 2017)
- 10 Critical Questions for Every Shelter and Shelter System (Feb. 2017)
- Designing an Amazing Shelter (July 2016)
- NAEH Website (with all resources below)
- Would Adding More Emergency Shelter Help Reduce Unsheltered Homelessness? Its Complicated… (Aug. 2018)
- To Address Unsheltered Homelessness, Shelter and Housing Must Be Connected (July 2018)
Webinars & Tools
- The Role of Emergency Shelter in a Crisis Response System (webinar – 55 min) Download slides and tools:
- Self-Assessment Online Survey – follow-up action plans:
Low Barrier Shelters
- Low Barrier Shelter Videos – Four 2-min videos (2018)
- The Keys to Effective Low-Barrier Emergency Shelters (webinar -55 min) Download slides
- How to Transition Your Shelter to Low-Barrier and Housing-Focused (webinar – 90 min) Download slides
- Frequently Asked Questions for Low-Barrier Shelters (webinar – 90 min) Download slides
- Rules and Safety in Serving Adults in Low-Barrier Shelters (webinar – 90 min) Download slides
- Getting Your Board on Board with Low-Barrier, Housing-Focused Shelter (webinar – 60 min) Download Slides and tools:
Role of Emergency Shelter in Diversion
- Role of Emergency Shelter in Diversion (webinar – 90 min) Download Slides and tools:
Safety Serving Families and Victims of Domestic Violence
- Safely Serving Families and Victims of Domestic Violence (webinar – 90 min) Download slides
- Gender Integrated Shelters: Experience and Advice (FORGE, 2016)
- Safety and Privacy Consideration When Using Hotels for Shelter Stays (NNEDV, 2013)
- See also, Partnering with Other Systems – Domestic Violence
- Using Data to Evaluate and Improve (90 min) Download slides and tools:
- HUD’s Equal Access Rule (webinar – 90 min) Download slides and tools:
- How to Become Pet Friendly (webinar – 60 min) Download slides and tools:
- Shelter-Based Care for Homeless Populations(2018) – innovative shelter-based health care programs
- Making the Connection: Improving the Relationship Between Shelters and Health Centers – webinar (2018) – Watch the Recording & View Slides (PDF)
- Shelter Health: Opportunities for Health Care for the Homeless Projects (2016) – issue brief identifies certain health issues that can be particularly affected by shelter conditions and identifies opportunities for health centers to be engaged in local efforts to improve shelter health.
- Health in Shelters (2006) PowerPoint presentation by Bob Donovan, MD, Cincinnati Health Network, Inc. Focuses on communicable diseases and general prevention measures.
- Shelters and TB: What Staff Need to Know, Second Edition (2013) – the Curry International Tuberculosis Center video and viewer’s guide.
- Pandemic Influenza Guidance for Homeless Shelters & Homeless Service Providers (2009) This practical manual is for homeless shelters and other service providers as they plan for and respond to the special needs of homeless individuals during the influenza season.
- Calgary Drop-In Center Bright Spot (CAEH, 2019)
- Beyond Shelters – CAEH Blog on new book by James Lorimer & Co (2018)
- Canadian Shelter Transformation Network (CSTN) (CAEH – launched 2019)
- Emergency Shelter Key Considerations (USICH, 2017) – 10 pages with links to other resources
- Implementing Effective Emergency Shelter Checklist (USICH, 2018) – 2 pages
- Low Barrier Emergency Shelter Podcast (USICH, 2019) – 11 mins
- Harm Reduction and Shelters: A Jurisdictional Scan of Harm Reduction Initiatives In Canadian Shelters (2018)
- How Our Shelter Began Focusing on Permanent Housing and Started Ending Homelessness for Our Clients (2014) – describes how one shelter run by Northern Virginia Family Service shifted to a housing-focused model.
- Approaches to Encampment Resolution – presentations from 3 US Communities from the NAEH Solutions to Individual Homeless Conference (Feb 2019)
- A Move Towards Ohana Zones? OrgCode blog (April 2018)
- Caution is Needed When Considering “Sanctioned Encampments” or “Safe Zones” USICH blog (2018)
- Case Studies: Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments (USICH, 2018) – six case studies
- Tent City: How to Respond Effectively OrgCode blog (April 2016)
- Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Advancing the Dialogue (USICH, 2015) – Report and materials designed to assist communities in developing an action plan that will link people experiencing homelessness and living in an encampment, with permanent housing opportunities:
- Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Advancing the Dialogue Report
- Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Quick Guide
- Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Planning Checklist