The information and resources here are intended to support your efforts to to prevent homelessness.
This page includes information on homelessness prevention. Note that information on housing stabilization programs are included in the Housing with Support page.
Keep checking back here as we will be regularly updating materials and adding further resources.
- Homeless Hub Prevention Page – includes an overview of prevention and links to further resources.
- Homelessness Prevention: A Review of the Literature (Center for Evidence Based Solutions to Homelessness, 2019) – an 8-page synthesis of the literature.
- A New Direction: A Framework for Homelessness Prevention (COH, 2017) – includes a report, infographic, video, and webinar
- Evolving an Evidence Based Model for Homelessness Prevention (Journal Article, 2020) – presents a literature review of the domains of the Framework for Homelessness Prevention. Introduces empowerment as a new and potential framework domain.
- Homeless Prevention Toolkit (RentSmart, 2019) – on-line toolkit highlighting 10 tools rooted in prevention (peer support, landlord engagement, furniture banks, housing stability funds, good neighbour agreements, youth prevention, tenant/landlord education, orientation for housing stability, community building and resilience, eviction prevention due to rent arrears). The toolkit consists of podcasts, case studies, financial considerations and resources such as implementation templates. In addition, the toolkit includes a prevention assessment tool to help organizations and communities explore their role in prevention efforts.
- Eviction Prevention Toolkit of Promising Practices (Institute of Urban Studies, University of Winnipeg, 2015). Tools organized under the following nine headings: Incorporating success-based housing into organizational mandates; A person-centered approach; Building networks and partnerships; Implementation; Supporting staff; Client supports, resources and education; Assessing program impacts; The importance of government support; Embracing challenges.
- Prevention Targeting 101 (NAEH, 2011) – 7 pages with links
- Homeless Prevention Guide (NAEH, 2009) – focused on creating programs that either retain current housing or re-house without homelessness. Based on the following five principles: 1) Crisis Resolution, 2) Client Choice Respect and Empowerment, 3) Minimum Assistance Necessary for Shortest Time Possible, 4) Maximize Community Resources, and 5) Right Resources to Right People at Right Time.
- The Roadmap for the Prevention of Youth Homelessness (COH & AWH, 2018) – includes a prevention report series with the following six breakout reports:
- Preventing Youth Homelessness: An International Review of Evidence (COH/AWH, 2018)
- What Would it Take? Youth Across Canada Speak Out on Youth Homelessness Prevention (COH/AWH, 2018)
- Preventing Youth Homelessness: What Works (UK Centrepoint, 2018) – 20 page summary with list of programs reviewed.
- Eviction Prevention and Navigating the Landlord and Tenant Board for Community Workers (CERA, 2020)
- Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation (CERA)
- Legal Aid Ontario
- Community Legal Education in Ontario (CLEO)
- Renting in Ontario: Your Rights (Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing)
- Contact Service Managers for eviction prevention programs in each community
- Toronto’s Eviction Prevention in the Community (EPIC) Pilot Evaluation (2018) – program piloted since March 2017 offering wrap-around case management, mediation, accompaniment, referral to legal services, system navigation and help accessing income support. See also this Dec 10, 2018 COH blog on the project and evaluation.
- Homeless Prevention: A Review of the Literature (US Center for Evidence-Based Solutions to Homelessness, 2019) & Webinar Slides reviewing three programs
- Eviction Prevention: A Conversation with Communities (USICH, 2019) – Montgomery County (PA), Columbus (OH), and Los Angeles (CA)
- Unlocking Doors to Homeless Prevention (Barbara Poppe, 2018) – provides a scan of US eviction prevention and homelessness prevention programs and eight key lessons are offered (pg. 8). See also their project presentation that includes a scan of programs
- Preventing Homelessness Before It Begins (UK Homeless Link, 2018) – case studies from the homeless sector
- New York Homebase Program – includes an Evaluation Report (2013) and another Evaluation Report (2016)
- Your Way Home Montgomery County Prevention – website page with links to further reports and programs on prevention including:
- EPIC – a pilot project designed to stabilize vulnerable families and individual in Montgomery County who are facing eviction by providing them with free legal and social services support on the day of their eviction hearing.